I got to go on Port's class field trip to the dinosaur park. It's the same place Chloe's class went when she was in kindergarten (Port went with us back then too). It's a pretty fun trip, so we were excited. Bubb was going to come, and I was going to take Bebe Ava up to Grandma Snowman about 8ish in the morning. Sounds good right??
Things never go as planned in my world.
Things started out great. Chloe got on the bus on time, as usual. We went home, finished getting ready. Ave, Port, Bubb, and I got in the car with all of our stuff so we could be gone all day and not need anything. We were running a little late-which is normal for us. We dropped Avie off with Grandma. We were coming back down the canyon and I realized I forgot the stroller (Bubb's not too keen on walking a lot). I didn't have time to stop back by the house and get it, so I tried to talk him into not needing it. It was working! We were telling him about all the stuff to do there (playgrounds, dinosaurs to look at, sand to dig in, water to play in, things to climb on, etc), and he was ok with it. So we hurried on to Port's school. We were almost to the turn-in to his school and Port yells from the back of the "bus" "Mom! Bubb threw up!!" I turned around, saw throw up on Bubba, he was crying, and I was thinking what do I do?? I'm here, Port's got to go on his field trip, but so do I, but I can't take Bubb. So I decided in my super rational thinking that I had to take Porter in, and then take Bubba home. Nice, huh? But how do I take Porter in, I can't leave him in the car parked across the street, and you can't park right by the doors, because they block off that driveway right before school starts, and I can't take in a kid with throw up all over him. So I moved their cone and parked in the blocked off driveway anyway. The lady gave me the stink-eye and I told her sorry. I took Port in and told his teacher what happened. I told her I didn't know if I'd be able to go on the field trip. She's such a sweetheart, and said that it was ok and that she'd just put him with another group until I got there and not to worry. I called Susan and told her what happened and that I guess I should come get Ava. She said no, and to just bring Bubba up to her. Then she said it would be faster to send Jennie down to pick him up. So she did. I cleaned out the car (thank goodness for leather seats and rubber floor mats!), got Bubb changed, and packed him a few changes of clothes. After Jennie came and got him I headed down to the dinosaur park and found Port. He was glad to see me, and I was glad to see him.
We walked around together most of the day. We saw all kinds of dinosaurs-even a dead one that a T-Rex had chewed up. We had a little book we had to fill out. We had to find all the dinosaurs in the book and write down their weight, length, where they were discovered, and if they were a carnivore, herbivore, or omnivore. It was pretty fun. It was fun to be with just Portie, which doesn't happen too often. I have to confess that I got a little frustrated with him because he didn't want to play with his friends at all-even after we were done with our book. He just had no interest in them. They kept coming over to him and saying hi and he just didn't have any interest. Now looking back, I think I realize that he was enjoying the alone time with me, and maybe that's why he didn't want to go play with them. Oops. Eventually he played with his buddies, but it was mostly the two of us for the day.
We saw a REAL dinosaur...
(Portie sort of knew he wasn't real, but he still made him a little nervous 'til I showed him all his wires and buttons on the ground)
We saw lots of "diamonds" and rocks...
Had lunch on some big rocks...
(at 10:00 because when you've got your lunch with you, it's too hard not to just eat it!)
Sifted for GOLD!!
Climbed on dinosaur bones!!
Played with some friends...
(That's Jaken aka Jaken-Bacon. He's Port's best buddy. He plays at our house probably 3 times a week :)
So it was a bit of a rough day. The start anyway (and a few minor snags during the day-not with Port). We got in the car to go home, and I turned on a move for him and gave hint he headphones so he could hear it and I could listen to the radio. He would laugh at his movie every once in a while, and then he'd get quiet. Then out of nowhere, he says, "I'm glad you came, Mom." I looked at him in my rearview. He wasn't even looking at me. He was looking at his movie. I just said "Aww, you are??" He looked at me and told me a happy little "yeah!!" I said "me too."
And that made it all worth it.
PS
Bubb was fine all day. No more throw ups.









No comments:
Post a Comment