Wednesday, October 10, 2012

::or so we thought::

So school is in full swing, and the kids are loving it-for the most part.  There's the occasional day that somebody whines about getting up for school because they haaaaate it because all they do is the saaaaame things every daaaaaaay, but by the time they're up, things are great.  They're loving their teachers, their friends, recess, even homework isn't too bad.  Things are lovely.

Or so we thought.

About 3 weeks into school, on a Friday (Matt was off that day), I got a phone call from Port's teacher (Mrs. C-who we LOVE!).  It was a little weird to get a call from her.  She told me there had been some problems with Porter in class.  That he and his buddy, Kelton, had been goofing off and not listening during the less structured parts of their class time.  AND that when she would tell them to shh and listen and to stay apart  from eachother, they would get a little...um.... I finished her sentence with "sassy?"  "YES!!"  she said.  I was not too happy about that.  She said it had been going on since the beginning of the year and that she likes to handle things on her own, but that she just wanted me to be aware.  She said that he had gotten his "card" turned (a behavior discipline system in their classroom) and that he had to sit inside from recess that day.  She said it was mostly the other boy.  She said that Kelton will seek Porter out...that he will wait for him in line, and walk around the whole room to get to Port to talk to him or play with him.

I told her I could see Porter coming down the hill from the bus.  She said she was hoping to call before he got home.  I told her we would talk to him and that things would get better.

What I think is so funny about this is that everyday (including the day she called), when I ask Port how his day was and ask him what happened at school he says school was fine and that nothing happened.  HA!  He got home that day and I asked him how recess was.  He just looked at me.  I said that I first wanted him to know that I already knew how recess was because I just got off the phone with Mrs. C.  His face dropped.  He knew he was in trouble.

His punishment...


I made him write an I'm sorry note.  Not so much for my sake, or even for Mrs. C's sake, but because he had to learn to say I'm sorry when he does something wrong (even to people who aren't' your brother or sisters) and he REALLY didn't want to do it.  So now, I ask if he got in trouble every day and what color his card is.  He's been on blue...which is good.





No comments: