A long time Halling family tradition is to make frycakes every December 23rd at Matt's grandparent's house. I kinda wasn't sure if we'd do it this year with the loss of Matt's grandpa.
We ran into Jennie (Matt's sister) at the store on Tuesday (the 22nd) and she says "you guys comin' up to do frycakes tomorrow?" I was glad to hear that.
I learned something new this year about this tradition. Matt's Grandma took this recipe to an extraction meeting where there was a man who had had this in his native country. He cried because he hadn't had them since coming to America. They've made these every year on Christmas Eve eve. These two sisters made sure they called their other sisters to see if they were making fry cakes too.
I helped roll the dough and flip them through. Amberlee cooked them. Matt's Aunt Deanne and his mom talked and reminisced. Deanne seemed particularly nostalgic this year. She shared lots of memories, talked a lot about how much she missed her mom and dad, and asked Susan about what she remembered about Christmas growing up. It was precious to listen to.
Grandpa was missed, but we
decided he and Grandma were still there.







1 comment:
Sweet. One of these days we won't have to miss things like this. I like hearing stories about Grandpa Halling, like the night of his funeral when we all talked about him in the living room. Those are good moments.
Post a Comment